Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Once he perfected his Extra Crispy he had customers who wanted it to be spicy and bold so he created his Hot and Spicy Chicken. Here is his original recipe which has changed a bit in this day and age. It comes frozen and is cooked frozen and not prepared fresh in many stores.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 1 whole frying chicken, cut up and marinated
- 6 – 8 cups shortening for cooking
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2½ teaspoons salt
- ¾ teaspoon pepper
- ¾ teaspoon msg
- ⅛ teaspoon paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon baking powder
- Trim any excess skin and fat from the chicken pieces.
- Preheat the shortening in a deep-fryer to 350°F.
- Combine the beaten egg and milk in a medium bowl.
- In another medium bowl, combine the remaining coating ingredients (flour, salt, pepper and msg).
- When the chicken has marinated, transfer each piece to paper towels so that excess liquid can drain off.
- Working with one piece at a time, first dip in egg and milk then coat the chicken with the dry flour mixture, then the egg and milk mixture again, and then back into the flour.
- Be sure that each piece is coated very generously.
- Stack the chicken on a plate or cookie sheet until each piece has been coated.
- Drop the chicken, one piece at a time into the hot shortening.
- Fry half of the chicken at a time (4 pieces) for 12-15 minutes, or until it is golden brown.
- You should be sure to stir the chicken around halfway through the cooking time so that each piece cooks evenly.
- Remove the chicken to a rack or towels to drain for about 5 minutes before eating.