Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Latvian Fruit Sauce or Fruit Jelly
- 4 - 6 apples
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 pears (optional)
- 6 - 10 plums, or small package of prunes (optional)
- 1 cup chopped rhubarb (optional)
- 2 peaches (optional)
- 2 cups water
- 1 - 6 tbsp sugar
- 2 - 4 tbsp potato flour or corn starch
- 1 cup red wine (optional)
- Peel fresh fruits, take out seeds, and cut into biggish pieces.
- Add dried fruits, water, and simmer for 60 – 90 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- If you desire you can mash the cooked fruit, so that a smoother consistency is achieved.
- Add some of the sugar and, if desired, red wine.
- Taste it, and add more sugar if desired.
- Add 2 tbsp of starch for a soup-like consistency, more if you want it to be more like a jelly.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Let boil for 2 minutes, or until desired thickness is reached.
- Remove from heat, and cool.
- Best served at room temperature, or can be refrigerated.
- Serve with milk, cream, or (best of all!) over vanilla ice cream.