Latvian Fruit Sauce or Fruit Jelly
- 4 - 6 apples
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 pears (optional)
- 6 - 10 plums, or small package of prunes (optional)
- 1 cup chopped rhubarb (optional)
- 2 peaches (optional)
- 2 cups water
- 1 - 6 tbsp sugar
- 2 - 4 tbsp potato flour or corn starch
- 1 cup red wine (optional)
- Peel fresh fruits, take out seeds, and cut into biggish pieces.
- Add dried fruits, water, and simmer for 60 – 90 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- If you desire you can mash the cooked fruit, so that a smoother consistency is achieved.
- Add some of the sugar and, if desired, red wine.
- Taste it, and add more sugar if desired.
- Add 2 tbsp of starch for a soup-like consistency, more if you want it to be more like a jelly.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Let boil for 2 minutes, or until desired thickness is reached.
- Remove from heat, and cool.
- Best served at room temperature, or can be refrigerated.
- Serve with milk, cream, or (best of all!) over vanilla ice cream.