Small mushroom casserole
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 pound mushrooms (any kind), cleaned, trimmed, and cut into quarters or sixths, depending on their size
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 2 tbsp thinly sliced fresh chives
- ½ cup sour cream
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- ¾ cup grated gruyère cheese
- Melt the butter in a large heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté, stirring, until most of the liquid they release has evaporated and the mushrooms are nicely browned, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the chives and remove from the heat.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Stir in the sour cream and parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide the mushrooms among 4 or 5 ovenproof ramekins placed on a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the top of each one liberally with the gruyère cheese.