Jota, a sturdy bean soup with sauerkraut from Trieste. "With this soup you will get through winter!" La Jota, piatto tipico triestino, tastes the next day even better.
- Contributed by http:// www.saporedamore.com
- 2¼ cups (14 – 16 oz) wine sauerkraut
- 1 cup (8 oz) soaked beans (borlotti)
- 2¼ cups (14 oz) potatoes
- 1 lb (smoked) pork ribs, you could also use pancetta or other smoked pork meat
- clove of garlic
- bay leaf
- ½ tsp cumin
- olive oil
- Cook the soaked (overnight) beans with the bay leaf in boiling water.
- Meanwhile cook in another pan the peeled and diced potatoes.
- Heat a little extra virgin olive oil in a separate pan, add a clove of garlic, sauerkraut with bay leaf, cumin and salt, then add water until everything is covered and then submit the smoked pork on top and gently cook everything.
- If the sauerkraut is cooked add the cooked beans and potatoes and cook for another few minutes. If the soup is too thick add a little water to the desired thickness.
- If you prefer a more creamy result, you can pass the soup through a mesh sieve or a strainer.