- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 large onion
- ½ lb baby carrots
- 4 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon Chinese five-spice powder (optional)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4 teaspoons water
- hot pepper oil
- crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- whisk together sour cream, broth, curry powder, 5 spice and hot pepper oil/crushed red pepper in a large bowl.
- Set aside.
- Cut chicken into cubes or strips.
- Slice onion into medium sized pieces.
- cut the carrots if you want to also.
- Place chicken, carrots and onion into a large pot on the stove.
- Pour broth mixture into pot, gently stirring ingredients together.
- bring almost to boiling over medium high heat, the reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 1 hour to 1.5 hours stirring occasionally until chicken is cooked through and carrots and onions have reached desired tenderness.
- During the last 10 minutes of cooking, stir together the cornstarch and water thoroughly, and stir it into the pot.
- This will thicken the sauce.
- add salt and pepper to taste and serve over sticky rice.
- This can also be prepared in a crock pot or in a 4qt casserole dish in the oven.
- If oven method is preferred, cook at 325 °F for 1 hour 20 minutes.
- Stir in cornstarch mixture after cooking.