- Yields 4 servings.
- 2 (1 pound) eggplants
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 8 ounces mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 cup salted peanuts
- 1½ cups soft bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons snipped parsley
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground marjoram
- ½ teaspoon ground oregano
- ⅔ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cut eggplants lengthwise into halves.
- Cut out and cube enough eggplant from shells to measure about 4 cups, leaving a ½-inch wall on side and bottom of each shell; reserve shells.
- Cook and stir eggplant cubes, onion and garlic in oil in 10-inch skillet over medium heat 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients except reserved shells and cheese.
- Cover and cook over low heat 10 minutes.
- Place eggplant shells in ungreased shallow pan; spoon peanut mixture into shells.
- Sprinkle cheese over filled shells.
- Bake uncovered at 350°F until eggplant is tender, 30 to 40 minutes.