Jolof rice is a great dish when entertaining. It can be prepared in advance, refrigerated, and simply reheated just before serving time.
- Yields 6 - 8 servings
- ¾ pound beef-smoked sausage
- 2 ounce pepperoni, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons of corn or vegetable oil
- 2½ cups water
- 1 pound of cleaned shrimp, fresh or frozen
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1½ cups uncooked rice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- In a large pot, cook smoked sausage, pepperoni, green pepper, and onion in 3 tablespoons of corn or vegetable oil until the green pepper and onion are slightly tender.
- Add shrimp.
- Cook and stir for two minutes.
- Add water, tomato, and bouillon cubes.
- Bring to a boil.
- Stir in remaining ingredients, then lower heat to low or simmer.
- Cover pot and cook 30 minutes.
- Serve hot.