Chirmol salsa is a national favorite in Guatemala. The word "chirmol" means "smashed tomatoes."
- 2 lb Pork loin
- 3 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbl butter
- 2 x Roma tomatoes chopped
- 1/4 lb tomatillos husked, chopped
- 2 x garli cloves chopped
- 2 cup water or chicken broth
- 2 whl cloves
- 5 x black peppercorns
- 2 x green onions
- 1 x green bell pepper cut in chunks
- 1 bn parsley
- 1/4 cup corn masa (not instant masa flour)
- 3/4 cup water
- Cut Pork into 8 equal pieces.
- Cook Pork in 3 cups water with salt over medium heat about 30 minutes. Remove excess liquid.
- Heat skillet until very hot.
- Add butter.
- When butter melts, add tomatoes, tomatillos and garlic and fry 2 minutes.
- Then add 2 cups water, cloves and peppercorns and cook 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and blend in blender with green onions, bell pepper and parsley.
- Add more water or broth if needed for blending.
- Add this mixture to Pork and cook 5 minutes.
- Dilute corn masa with 3/4 cup water and add some of masa liquid to sauce and cook 5 minutes more.
- Sauce should be medium thickness.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- This recipe yields 4 servings.