Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Chirmol salsa is a national favorite in Guatemala. The word "chirmol" means "smashed tomatoes."
- 2 lb Pork loin
- 3 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbl butter
- 2 x Roma tomatoes chopped
- 1/4 lb tomatillos husked, chopped
- 2 x garli cloves chopped
- 2 cup water or chicken broth
- 2 whl cloves
- 5 x black peppercorns
- 2 x green onions
- 1 x green bell pepper cut in chunks
- 1 bn parsley
- 1/4 cup corn masa (not instant masa flour)
- 3/4 cup water
- Cut Pork into 8 equal pieces.
- Cook Pork in 3 cups water with salt over medium heat about 30 minutes. Remove excess liquid.
- Heat skillet until very hot.
- Add butter.
- When butter melts, add tomatoes, tomatillos and garlic and fry 2 minutes.
- Then add 2 cups water, cloves and peppercorns and cook 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and blend in blender with green onions, bell pepper and parsley.
- Add more water or broth if needed for blending.
- Add this mixture to Pork and cook 5 minutes.
- Dilute corn masa with 3/4 cup water and add some of masa liquid to sauce and cook 5 minutes more.
- Sauce should be medium thickness.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- This recipe yields 4 servings.