- 3 cups flour
- 2½ cups sugar
- 1 cup applesauce
- 4 eggs
- ⅓ cup orange juice
- 2½ tsp vanilla
- 3 tsp baking soda
- 6 Granny Smith apples
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 5 tbsp sugar
- Beat together the first 7 ingredients until smooth.
- Peel and thinly slice apples.
- Add sugar and cinnamon to the apples.
- Put a thin layer of batter on the bottom of a prepared tube pan, then a layer of apples, more batter, more apples and top off with remaining batter.
- Bake at 350°F for 1 hour and 45 minutes (you may want to put a layer of aluminum foil over the top during the last 15 minutes of baking to avoid too much browning).