- Makes 12 muffins.
- 2¼ cups oat bran
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 cup blueberries
- 2 bananas
- 1¼ cup skim milk
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tbsp corn syrup
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl. The blueberries too, it keeps them from staining the ingredients.
- Mash the bananas in a separate bowl and mix the milk, egg whites, honey, and corn syrup together, then blend with the dry ingredients.
- Line muffin pans with paper baking cups, and fill with batter.
- Bake about 15 minutes.
- I found that if you try to eat these straight from the oven they tend to stick to the paper.
- They keep great for a week though in the frig without sticking.
- If you eat 3 of these a day, it is suppose to be a sufficient amount of oatbran to significantly lower your cholesterol.
- So far, I haven't seen much of a difference in my own, but that is just me and I am still trying.
- Also, if you use a ¼ cup measure to scoop out the batter, it pretty much evenly distributes the batter among the 12 cups.
I have tried the following substitutions in many combinations and these are still good.
- Raisins instead of blueberries or no fruit at all
- ¼ cup brown sugar instead of ¼ cup honey
- no bananas
- one banana
- 2 tbsp of canola for 2 tbsp of corn syrup although I wouldn't recommend this for obvious reasons.
- Also, you could try 2 cups of oat bran and ½ cup apple fiber. I have not tried this yet, but will the next time I make muffins.Apple fiber is an even better fiber than oatbran, and therefore even better for lowering LDL and raising HDL! i hope you enjoy these!