Transparent noodle with beef and vegetables.
Japchae (also spelled jabchae or chapchae) is a Korean dish made from cellophane noodles (called "dangmyeon"), which are stir fried in sesame oil with sliced beef and various vegetables (typically thinly-sliced carrots, onion, spinach, and mushrooms), flavoured with soy sauce, and sweetened with sugar. It is usually served garnished with sesame seeds and slivers of chili. It may be served either hot or cold.
This dish is served at Korean parties and special occasions, with seasonal vegetables added.
Japchae is most commonly served as a side dish, though it may also be served as a main dish. It is also often served on a bed of rice; together with rice it is known as japchae-bap (잡채밥), bap (밥) meaning "rice."
Japchae on Wikipedia -- original source of description section, licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License
- 1 pack transparent noodles (dangmyun), soaked in hot water for 30 minutes, drained
- 1 medium onion, thin sliced
- ½ carrot, julienned
- 1 bunch spinach, blanched, cut into 3 inches
- 10 oz thin sliced beef
- 5 green onions, cut on a bias
- 7 shiitake mushrooms, rehydrated, thin sliced
- oil for sautéeing
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
Beef marinade Edit
Shiitake marinade Edit
Noodle seasoning Edit
- In a non stick pan, add oil and saute vegetables.
- All ingredients have to be cooked separately.
- To use the same pan, start with light color vegetable.
- An ideal order will be onion - green onions - carrot - shiitake mushrooms - beef.
- The vegetables don't have to get any color, just need to be softened.
- Saute and move to a big bowl to cool a little bit.
- Put a non-stick wok or large pan on a medium heat.
- Add dang myon seasoning, pour in dang myon.
- Bring to a boil, stir occasionally for a few minutes until dang myon absorbs water.
- In about 10-15 minutes the noodles will begin to stick together.
- From this point, stir constantly until the noodles gets soft and translucent.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- If needed cut the length.
- Mix with vegetables, sesame seeds, salt and pepper to taste.