In the Japanese art of origami, a simple piece of paper can be transformed into a crane, an elephant or even Santa Claus. Equally subtle, stirring a few Japanese ingredients into roughly mashed California avocado creates a new taste sensation.
- ¾ cup shredded daikon (Japanese radish)
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 California avocados, about 1 pound
- ⅓ cup finely sliced green onion
- ¼ cup fresh salmon caviar 
- 2 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp. Japanese soy sauce
- ½ tbsp. wasabi paste 
- Toss daikon with salt; just drain in a colander for half an hour.
- Squeeze out as much liquid as possible; then reserve.
- Coarsely mash avocados. Fold with the remaining ingredients and reserved daikon.
- Guacamole is best made as close to serving as possible. For short-term storage, seal in an airtight container with a piece of plastic wrap against the surface of the guacamole. Use as a dip for chips, cooked meat, poultry, or seafood.
Nutritional Information Edit
Servings: 4 tablespoons or 3 cups