In the Japanese art of origami, a simple piece of paper can be transformed into a crane, an elephant or even Santa Claus. Equally subtle, stirring a few Japanese ingredients into roughly mashed California avocado creates a new taste sensation.
- ¾ cup shredded daikon (Japanese radish)
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 California avocados, about 1 pound
- ⅓ cups finely sliced green onion
- ¼ cup fresh salmon caviar 
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar (plain)
- 1 tbsp Japanese soy sauce
- ½ tbsp wasabi paste 
- Toss daikon with salt; drain in a colander for half an hour.
- Squeeze out as much liquid as possible; reserve.
- Coarsely mash (do not purée) avocados.
- Fold in remaining ingredients and reserved daikon.
- Guacamole is best made as close to serving as possible. For short-term storage, seal in an airtight container with a piece of plastic wrap against the surface of the guacamole.