Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Bonito fish stock. A staple for Japanese cooking and recipes. I make a lot and freeze the extra into ice cubes to have on hand when I need it.
- Wipe konbu once with damp cloth and cut into strips.
- Do not wipe off white residue as it dries.
- Bring konbu strips and water to a boil over medium heat; remove konbu.
- Add ¼½ cup ice water to stock to stop boiling.
- Add bonito flakes and return to boil; then remove from heat.
- When bonito flakes have all sunk from top, strain stock through cheesecloth or coffee filter placed over sieve into another pot.
- Use as directed in recipes.
- Freeze excess for later use, if desired.