Makes 4 servings
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- ¼ cup dried green pepper flakes
- ¼ cup dried celery flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon beef-flavored bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 pound turkey or low-fat smoked sausage (cut into ¼-inch slices)
- 2 cups water (use 1¾ cups for medium or short-grain rice, 2½ cups for brown rice)
- 1 x 8-ounce can tomato sauce in large saucepan or dutch oven.
- Combine rice, pepper flakes, celery flakes, onion flakes, parsley flakes, bouillon granules, paprika, black pepper, garlic powder, thyme and red pepper.
- Store in airtight container or plastic bag.
- Combine turkey or sausage, rice mix, water, and tomato sauce in large saucepan or Dutch oven.
- Bring to a boil; stir once or twice.
- Reduce heat to simmer; cover and cook 15 minutes (25 minutes for parboiled rice, 45 to 50 minutes for brown rice) or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Fluff with fork.