- Wash and dry fruit, then put through food processor to chop.
- Soak in 3/4 c rum in covered container for at least three weeks, stirring every few days.
- When ready, make cake:
- Heat 1 pound brown sugar in heavy bottomed frying pan until melted; simmer until dark dark dark brown.
- Let cool (If you live in a city, you can probably find "burnt Sugar" in specialty markets like West Indies, and some Latin markets.
- The commercial Sugar makes a blacker cake.
- Cream butter and remaining brown sugar.
- Add eggs a little at a time.
- Add soaked fruits with their liquid, and enough caramelized Sugar to make it as dark as desired.
- Add dry ingredients and nuts.
- Pour batter into 9 or 10" springform pan, greased and bottom lined with waxed paper.
- Bake at 300 degrees for about 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
- Sprinkle some of the remaining 1/4 cup rum over cake immediately after removing it from the oven.
- Repeat a few times. Allow cake to remain in pan for 2–3 days.
- ICING THE CAKE:
- Remove cake from pan and place on cake plate.
- Roll out almond paste to a circle big enough to drape over the cake, covering top and sides.
- Smooth tightly over the cake and trim bottom edges.
- Allow to dry for a day before adding Royal icing.
- Make Royal Icing (this is an icing that becomes quite hard):
- Beat 2 egg whites to a froth.
- Add 1 pound confectioner's sugar, a little at a time on low speed.
- Add juice of one lemon and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Using a knife dipped in hot water, spread icing over the almond paste.
- DO NOT LEAVE UNUSED ICING UNATTENDED...IF YOU HAVE TO STOP, MAKE SURE IT IS COVERED WITH DAMP PAPER TOWELS, OR COVERED AND REFRIGERATED.
- This icing hardens and dries up quickly.
- A second layer of icing may be applied when the first has dried.
- Decorate as desired.
Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.