- Makes 8 servings
- 3 cups cooked rice
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- dash of salt
- 3½ cups milk
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- toasted flaked coconut for garnish (optional)
- 1 egg white
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon instant coffee powder
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons rum extract
- ¼ cup boiling water
- Combine rice, sugar, butter, salt and milk in large saucepan.
- Cook over low heat until thick and creamy, about 30 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in coconut and vanilla.
- Spoon into dessert dishes; top with meringue.
- Garnish with additional coconut, if desired.