Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Serve over lots of rice
- 2 pounds seitan or prepared chicken-style seitan (Wheat gluten)
- 1 Tbsp. allspice
- 1 Tbsp. thyme
- 1 1/2 tsp Cayenne
- 1 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp sage
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp. garlic
- 1 Tbsp. Sugar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce or tamari
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- juice of one small lime
- 1/2 Scotch bonnet (habanero) pepper, or 1/2 green chili pepper
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup Onion (1/2 a medium-sized Onion), finely chopped
- 1 tsp arrowroot (or another thickener, like corn starch)
1. Take the seitan and shred it or cut it into chunks, depending on your personal taste. You can use "Chicken style" pre-packaged seitan with *excellent* results. (I tried three different kinds and liked the canned kind from the Asian market the best, while Huyen liked the packaged kind from the health food store).
2. Combine remaining ingredients in a blender and blend until you have a pretty consistent textured blend. You can play with the ingredients to make it thicker or thinner according to your taste. Marinate seitan in the mixture for at least 30 minutes. It absorbs the marinade very fast.
3. In a large saucepan, simmer over a low flame for about 20 to 30 minutes to heat through and allow the flavors to blend. If you would like the sauce a little thicker add more arrowroot. Stir occasionally.