- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ¼ cup margarine
- 5 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ cup jalapeno chiles, coarsely chopped
- 1 pinch baking soda
- 4 cups evaporated milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- sour cream
- green onions, chopped
- In a large stockpot, sauté Onion in butter or margarine until just tender.
- Add potatoes, chicken broth and cumin, then cover and cook until potatoes are tender, about 20 or 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add jalapenos with liquid, baking soda and evaporated milk.
- Coarsely mash potatoes in the pot with a Potato masher.
- Stir well, then season with salt and pepper, Return to heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Garnish individual servings with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of chopped green onions.