- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 Tbs. Sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 medium jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 large egg whites
1. Preheat oven to 200 °F. Lightly coat waffle iron with cooking spray, and preheat.
4. In small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gently fold into batter.
5. Ladle 2/3 cup batter (or amount recommended by manufacturer’s directions for your waffle iron) into waffle iron. Close lid and cook until waffles are golden, about 3 to 4 minutes. Gently open lid and remove waffle with fork. Serve immediately or transfer to baking sheet and keep warm in oven. Repeat with remaining batter, lightly coating iron with cooking spray each time.