Makes 10 servings.
- 1 medium pumpkin (large enough to hold 6 cups mixture)
- 1 pound well-seasoned lean bulk pork sausage
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 tart red cooking apple, cored and chopped
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped celery
- ½ cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Cut off top of pumpkin; remove seeds and fibers. For a jack-o-lantern effect, paint a face on pumpkin with a permanent marker or acrylic paint. Set aside.
- Cook sausage in skillet, stirring to crumble. Drain well.
- Combine sausage, rice, apple, onion, celery, raisins, brown sugar, salt, allspice, cinnamon and pepper; spoon into pumpkin shell.
- Place on baking sheet. Bake at 350°F for 1¼ to 1½ hours, or until pulp inside pumpkin is tender.
- Spoon rice mixture from pumpkin. Scoop out cooked pumpkin; season with butter, salt and pepper, if desired. Serve with rice mixture.