Jânis' cheese (in Latvian)
- 4 – 5 lbs dry cottage cheese or ricotta
- 10 quarts milk
- 1 tsp yellow food colouring (optional)
- 2 – 3 tbsp oil
- 5 – 6 oz butter
- 6 eggs
- 1 tbsp caraway seeds
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 – 2 tsp lemon juice (may be unnecessary)
- Drain off any liquid in the cottage cheese.
- Put it through a cuisinart or blender to make sure it is finely ground.
- Use a large dutch oven or stock pot.
- Put oil in pot, add milk.
- Heat to boiling.
- Then add cottage cheese and keep stirring.
- If milk mixture doesn't curdle within about 5 minutes, add the lemon juice.
- When curdled, strain off all liquid.
- Place cheese mass in cheesecloth (gauze) and wring out any remaining moisture.
- Melt the butter in the pot, put in the cheese mass and heat until hot.
- Meanwhile beat eggs together with salt and caraway sees.
- Gradually add beaten egg mixture to heated cheese mass.
- Mix well and keep on stirring until it all balls up and becomes a bit stretchy.
- Remove from heat and pack into a number of small round-bottomed bowls (alternately, shape into small cheese wheels, and wrap in cheesecloth)
- Cover, and keep cool.