- In a 6-quart dutch oven or casserole baking dish sauté yellow onions, crushed red pepper, salt and black pepper in peanut oil until soft but not brown.
- Peel pumpkin.
- Cut in 1 inch slices and lay over the onions.
- Place halibut carefully over the pumpkin.
- Arrange coconut over the fish.
- Pour white rice over the coconut and sprinkle with salt.
- Combine water with the water from the coconut and tomato paste.
- Pour this liquid into the pot carefully so as not to disturb contents.
- Cover tightly and allow to cook gently for about 30 minutes or until rice, fish, and vegetables are tender and the liquid is absorbed.
- Serve directly from the dish in which it is cooked.
- Do not stir before serving.
- Section out portions, cut through, and remove with a wide spatula.