- 4 large globe artichokes, 8 to 10 oz. each
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 1 small Onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh oregano
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 medium-sized tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350F. oil bottom of a large casserole with a cover.
2. Remove stems and all outer leaves from artichokes. Pull out cone of tender inner leaves, and use a small spoon to scrape away the thistly choke from the center. Trim away any dark green bits from bottoms. Put trimmed artichokes into acidulated water.
3. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions, and cook, stirring often, until softened, for 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic. Cook for 1 minute more. Transfer to a bowl, and add breadcrumbs, Cheese, oregano and parsley. Use a fork to blend into a well-mixed loose stuffing, and season with salt and pepper.
4. Drain artichokes, and place on a work surface upside down. Press down gently with heel of your hand to loosen leaves. Using fingers, pull leaves apart and fill insides with small amounts of stuffing, distributing stuffing evenly among artichokes.
5. Arrange stuffed artichokes snugly in casserole. Sprinkle chopped tomato over top, and cover.
6. Bake until a skewer easily pierces through artichoke from top to bottom, for about 45 minutes. Remove from oven, cool slightly and serve in individual bowls.