Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 4 mild or hot Italian sausage links
- 2 tbsp olive or salad oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced and separated
- 1 clove garlic, minced or crushed
- 3 medium sized green or red bell peppers, seeded and cut into strips
- 1 (15 oz) can Italian-style tomatoes (plum)
- 1 tbsp each dried basil, sugar, salt and pepper
- 4 French rolls or hot dog buns
- Cook sausages in large frying pan over medium heat until golden brown.
- Remove pan and set aside.
- Add oil, onion, garlic and peppers to drippings.
- Cook, stirring occasionally until vegetables are soft, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, breaking up with spoon.
- Then add basil and sugar.
- Add sausages and cook 15 minutes.
- Remove cover, increase heat to medium high and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place sausages and tomato sauce in bun and enjoy.