Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This is a surprisingly filling, vegetarian, crock pot soup. It is very good, and easy to prepare the night before, or chop the veggies in advance and turn it on before you leave for work in the morning. Goes great with a crusty bread.
- 1 cup lentils
- ⅓ cup pearl barley
- 1 cup carrots (chopped)
- 1 cup celery (chopped)
- 1 cup onions (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 3½ cups broth
- 2½ cups water
- 14¼ ounces Italian-style tomatoes or regular stewed tomatoes or crushed tomatoes
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar (optional)
- Sort through Lentils to remove debris and shriveled beans, then rinse.
- Add Lentils to crock pot, along with carrots, celery, onion, garlic, dried herbs and bay leaf.
- Pour in broth, water, and tomatoes.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 12 to 14 hours, or on high heat for 5 to 6 hours.
- Discard bay leaf and just before serving stir in parsley and vinegar (if using.).