Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This satisfying soup gets its Italian flair from fennel, thyme, basil and orzo pasta. If you don't start with a low-sodium or sodium-free stock, advises our Test Kitchen stay, you might want to decrease the amount of salt called for in the recipe.
- Contributed by Healthy Recipes For Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: Light & Tasty
- Prep 10 minutes | cook 40 minutes | total 50 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 fennel bulb, chopped
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1½ cups chopped carrots
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- ½ cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fennel fronds
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute fennel bulb and onion in oil until fennel is softened.
- Add the next seven ingredients.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduced heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in chicken and orzo.
- Cover and cook for 20 minutes or until orzo is tender.
- Stir in fennel fronds.
Nutritional information Edit
Per serving (1½ cups):
- 282 calories | 5g fat (1g saturated fat) | 55 mg cholesterol | 769 mg sodium | 33g carbohydrate | 5g fiber | 26g protein.
- Diabetic Exchanges: 2½ very lean meat | 1½ starch | 1 vegetable