Makes 6 servings.
- ½ pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 x 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey jack cheese
- ¾ cup milk
- 4 eggs, beaten
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 x 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon basil leaves
- ½ teaspoon oregano leaves
- ½ teaspoon seasoned pepper
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook beef, onion and garlic in large skillet over medium heat until meat is no longer pink.
- Add rice, spinach and Monterey jack cheese; mix well.
- Combine milk, eggs and pepper; stir into rice mixture.
- Turn into greased shallow 2-quart baking dish.
- Bake at 350 °F for 30 minutes or until set.
- Meanwhile, blend tomato sauce, garlic powder, basil, oregano and seasoned pepper in small saucepan.
- Simmer about 5 minutes.
- Cut spinach mixture into squares and serve topped with tomato sauce and Parmesan cheese.