An international combination of real spinach, ground beef, cheese, and herbs is made and cooked with vegetables, spices, rice, milk, and eggs and baked to fine perfection, as it is great for breakfast, dinner, or lunch and keeps a golden taste with the vegetables, cheese, and meat.
- ½ pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion, red, yellow, or white only
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 x 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey jack cheese or Provolone
- ¾ cup milk
- 4 eggs, beaten
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 x 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon basil leaves
- ½ teaspoon oregano leaves
- ½ teaspoon seasoned pepper
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons Italian seasoning, reserving 1 tablespoon for garnishing if desired
- Cook beef, onion and garlic in large skillet over medium heat until meat is no longer pink.
- Add rice, spinach and Monterey jack cheese; mix well.
- Combine milk, eggs, pepper, and 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning (optional); stir into rice mixture.
- Turn into a greased shallow 2-quart baking dish.
- Bake at 350° F for 30 minutes or until set.
- Meanwhile, blend tomato sauce, garlic powder, basil, oregano and seasoned pepper in a small saucepan. Simmer about 5 minutes.
- Cut the cooked spinach mixture into squares and serve topped with tomato sauce, Parmesan cheese, and the remaining Italian seasoning (optional).