Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Serve hot to 6 to 8 people.
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 2 lb pumpkin peeled, chopped (or butternut or other winter squash)
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves peeled, chopped
- 1 piece chile pepper to taste, chopped (a piece of orange habanero is as wonderful as it is dangerous or add a pinch of cayenne pepper with the stock)
- 2 large tomatoes peeled, chopped (or 4 to 6 canned tomatoes)
- 8 cup chicken stock
- salt to taste
- freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- slivered leftover chicken (optional)
- In a large soup pot, saute onion, garlic, and chile pepper in the olive oil on high heat until slightly browned.
- Cut in the tomatoes and cook down for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add stock. Bring to a boil, add pumpkin, then reduce heat and simmer for about an hour, until all solids are very soft.
- Purée, solids first, and return to soup pot.
- If you have leftover chicken, sliver it and toss it into the pot now.
- When ready to serve, reheat and ladle into bowls.
- Garnish with a sprinkling of paprika and top with minced cilantro.