This is the well-known and now universal soup of the "Yiddishe mama" as it was served in east European Jewish homes. Former Prime Minister of Israel Golda Meir was known to cook a fine-tasting Chicken soup for both family and VIPs whenever they came to call. Chicken soup is reputed to cure the sick but is equally recommended to the healthy.
- 1 Soup Chicken
- Chicken Feet
- 3 1/2 qt water
- 2 onions
- 1 tbl salt
- 3 carrots
- 3 stalk celery
- 2 sprg Dill
- 3 sprg parsley
- Clean the Chicken and the feet thoroughly. (The feet add strength to the soup, so use as many as you can get.)
- Combine in a deep saucepan with water and onions.
- Bring to a boil and cook over medium heat for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 1 hour longer or until Chicken is tender.
- Remove Chicken and strain soup.
- Use the Chicken in other dishes or serve with the soup.