- 2 cup small white beans, (navy beans etc.)
- 6 cup Cold water, (for soaking the beans)
- 1 tbl olive oil
- 3 onions, chopped
- 3 stalk celery, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced, up to 4
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 6 1/2 cup water
- 2 potatoes, peeled & cut in small chunks
- 1 bay leaves, up to 2
- 1 tsp Dried thyme, to taste
- 1 tsp cumin, to taste, up to 2
- 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbl tomato paste
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup Fresh cilantro, minced, up to 1/2, up to
- Soak beans in cold water overnight.Drain & rinse well.
- Heat oil in a large heavy-bottomed soup pot.
- Saute onions & celery 5 minutes until golden.
- Add garlic & carrots & saute 5 minutes longer.
- Add water, beans, potatoes, bay leaves, thyme & cumin.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat & simmer partly covered for 1 hour.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, salt & pepper.
- Cook 1/2 hour longer, until beans are tender.
- Stir in cilantro.
- If soup is too thick, thin with a little water.
- Reheats and/or freezes well.