Makes 6 servings.
- 1½ pounds boneless chicken breasts, cut in 1½-inch pieces
- ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1 x 16-ounce can sliced peaches in juice (reserve juice)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 medium tomato, coarsely chopped
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- ¼ cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon cornstarch.
- Cook chicken and onion in oil in large skillet until chicken is lightly browned.
- Blend reserved juice, soy sauce, vinegar and remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch; add to chicken.
- Cook, stirring, until clear and thickened.
- Add peaches, green pepper and tomato. Simmer 5 minutes, or until green pepper is tender-crisp.
- Serve over beds of fluffy rice. Sprinkle with almonds.