- 1 x 9-inch pie crust, baked (use smaller pie pan or larger crust / bake shell 25 min. 350)
- 3 eggs, separated (Make sure you beat the eggs before adding the remainder of the ingredients)
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup key lime juice (or regular lime juice)
- 1-2 tablespoons Irish whiskey (optional)
- few drops green food coloring (optional)
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 4-5 egg whites for higher meringue
- Bake pie crust and set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 °F (175 °C).
- Beat egg yolks.
- Add and stir in sweetened condensed milk, lime juice, Irish whiskey (optional) and a few drops of food coloring (optional).
- Mix and pour into baked pie crust.
- In a mixer bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar. Beat until soft peaks form.
- Gradually beat in sugar. Beat until stiff.
- Spread mixture on top of pie, sealing edge of pie crust.
- Bake for 15–18 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve chilled.