Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- one cup dried Peas (or one pound of canned Peas)
- several potatoes
- six ears of fresh corn (or maize), removed from the cob (or one pound canned corn)
- one-half pound greens or spinach
- black pepper, salt
- chopped fried Onion (optional)
- lima beans (optional)
- Boil dried Peas until nearly tender.
- Drain off extra water.
- Add potatoes, corn, and greens, and optional ingredients.
- There should be just enough water to allow vegetables to steam cook.
- Simmer until tender.
- Mash with a Potato masher until smooth and thick.
- Serve hot.
- Roasted or grilled Beef Steak (or other meat) with gravy is often served with Irio;
- Place a large mound of Irio on each plate, and use a spoon to make a hole in the center of the mound.
- Fill the hole with the meat (which should be cut into bite-sized pieces after it is cooked), and cover this with gravy.
- Leftover irio can be formed into patties and fried in hot oil.