Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- 8 cups water
- 1 lb lamb shanks (or other lesser cuts of lamb and bone)
- ½ cup yellow split peas
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 beets with green tops
- ½ cup rice
- 1 bunch scallions sliced well down into the green
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- ½ cup parsley
- 2 tbsp pomegranate concentrate - (called "molasses" or "paste") 
- ¼ cup finely-chopped cilantro
- 2 cup finely-chopped spinach
- Bring the water to a boil in a large pot, then stir in the lamb, split peas, and onion.
- Skim where necessary, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for an hour.
- In the meantime, wash the beet tops and spinach, slice finely and chop, wrap in paper towels, and crisp until needed.
- Also peel the beets and chop into a small dice.
- Also prepare the mint/cinnamon/pepper garnish in a separate bowl.
- When the lamb broth is ready, add the beets and rice and cook another 30 minutes.
- Pick out the lamb - cut away the bones and fat, shred the meat, and return to the pot.
- Add the scallions, 2 tablespoons of sugar, 2 tablespoons of lime juice, parsley, and either the pomegranate concentrate or the pomegranate juice.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- When ready to serve, bring the soup to a boil and stir in the beet greens and spinach.
- Let wilt, while stirring for a minute or two, then stir in cilantro, more lime juice, as needed, and seasonings.
- Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with the mint/cinnamon/pepper topping.
- Serve hot as a meal to 6 people, with lots of bread on the side.