Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
These instructions for making roux, I'm told, have merited the approval of Cajun cooks all over the net. As you all know, roux plays a very big part in cajun cooking - it's in *so* many Cajun recipes.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Melt butter in a heavy bottomed skillet over medium to medium high heat.
- Slowly sprinkle in the flour a little at a time, stirring constantly.
- Continue to stir constantly.Do not walk away! If you burn it even the tiniest bit, it is unusable.
- You will notice the flour beginning to brown. The darker the flour, the darker the gravy.
- For gumbo, when the roux reaches a deep dark chocolate brown color it is done.
- At that point you would add your seasonings, such as onion,garlic, bell pepper and celery.
- You can make this ahead of time and keep tightly covered in the fridge or freezer.