Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
What a taste treat — great with a sandwich for lunch if you're not in the mood to go whole hog into an Indonesian feast. And it's just as good, if not better with chicken and chicken stock. Serve hot to 4 people.
- ¼ cup rice sticks, broken up
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 6 shallots (or an onion) thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2-inch piece of fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 cups fish stock
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup shrimp, cleaned, peeled, and split
- ½ cup bean sprouts
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 scallions, chopped
- Break the rice sticks into a pan and cover with boiling water for 5 minutes — then strain.
- Fry the shallots and garlic for a few minutes in the oil, then add the ginger, coriander, and turmeric.
- Pour in the stock, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- When ready to serve, add the rice sticks and the coconut milk and bring to a simmer for about 5 minutes (if you bring the coconut milk to a boil, you'll use the coconut taste)
- Toss in the shrimp and bean sprouts and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Adjust the seasoning, ladle into bowls, and garnish with chopped scallions.