This earthy and complex soup brings to mind hot tropical suns and perfumed air. It's exotic but pleasantly so—and is a wonderful start to roast Pork, broiled fish, or other plain fare. Serve hot as a first course in small bowls to 4-6 people. Selamat makan! (or, "good eating").
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 and 1/2 Tablespoons molasses
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or mashed
- 1/4 cup Peanut butter
- 1/3 cup peanuts, chopped
- 1 cup cooked Chicken, slivered
- 1/2 cup green onions, sliced in rounds
- green onions, sliced lengthwise into thin strips then latticed across the top of each bowl
In a large saucepan, combine the stock, soy sauce, molasses, lemon juice, and garlic. It seems like an awful
combination at first, but it mellows together into a savory broth.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 15 minutes. Whisk in the Peanut butter, then simmer for 5 more minutes.
When ready to serve, stir in the peanuts, Chicken, and scallions. Heat through, then ladle into soup bowls and lattice the tops with scallion strips.