Imam Baildi is also known as stuffed eggplant.
- 2 lbs Japanese eggplants
- ⅔ cup olive oil
- 2 cups onions, thinly sliced
- 3 – 4 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced thin
- 2 cups tomatoes, peeled and sliced
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut ends off the eggplants/aubergines.
- Make an opening for the stuffing by using a sharp knife and slicing the eggplant from the stem end down to the other, make sure that you don't cut them all the way through.
- In a skillet, heat 4 tablespoons of olive oil over a medium heat.
- Fry the eggplant gently.
- If needed, you can add some more oil in the frying pan.
- Remove the eggplant from the skillet and place in an 8"x8" baking dish.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add the remainder of the olive oil to the same skillet.
- Sauté the onions and garlic in it until they are slightly golden being careful to not burn the garlic.
- You want the vegetables soft.
- Add the fresh tomatoes and half a cupful of water to the skillet.
- Add the oregano, sugar, more salt and pepper.
- Simmer covered, for 15 minutes.
- Remove stuffing from heat.
- Fill the eggplants with this stuffing.
- They will be slightly open as they don't need to be closed back over the stuffing mixture so be very generous.
- Bake for 4o minutes; basting them at least once.