Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Imam Baildi is also known as stuffed eggplant.
- 2 lbs Japanese eggplants
- ⅔ cup olive oil
- 2 cups onions, thinly sliced
- 3 – 4 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced thin
- 2 cups tomatoes, peeled and sliced
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut ends off the eggplants/aubergines.
- Make an opening for the stuffing by using a sharp knife and slicing the eggplant from the stem end down to the other, make sure that you don't cut them all the way through.
- In a skillet, heat 4 tablespoons of olive oil over a medium heat.
- Fry the eggplant gently.
- If needed, you can add some more oil in the frying pan.
- Remove the eggplant from the skillet and place in an 8"x8" baking dish.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add the remainder of the olive oil to the same skillet.
- Sauté the onions and garlic in it until they are slightly golden being careful to not burn the garlic.
- You want the vegetables soft.
- Add the fresh tomatoes and half a cupful of water to the skillet.
- Add the oregano, sugar, more salt and pepper.
- Simmer covered, for 15 minutes.
- Remove stuffing from heat.
- Fill the eggplants with this stuffing.
- They will be slightly open as they don't need to be closed back over the stuffing mixture so be very generous.
- Bake for 4o minutes; basting them at least once.