Meatballs with bulgur and a filling of minced meat with pine nuts.
- 500 g bulgur
- 250 g veal minced meat
- 250 g lamb minced meat
- 1 teaspoon red pepper
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 3 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- oil (for frying)
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 100 g walnuts, finely chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten
- rusk crumbs
- In a saucepan put the onions with the butter and a little bit of salt and sauté them.
- Add the lamb minced meat and the pine nuts and sauté until the minced meat has absorbed all the fluids and is granular.
- Take the mixture off the heat and add the parsley, the walnut crumbs and the salt.
- Spread the bulgur in a pan, add the red pepper, cumin, salt and a cup of water and knead well all the ingredients.
- Add the veal minced meat and knead again.
- Shape this mixture into small, long and narrow meatballs.
- With your finger press the edge of each meatball so as to open up a hole and stuff it with the mixture of lamb minced meat and then close it well.
- As soon as you have filled all the meatballs, put over the heat a saucepan with 4-5 cups of water and some salt and as soon as the water comes to a boil, add the meatballs and let them boil for 20 minutes.
- Take them out with a straining spoon and let them cool off.
- Then dip them one by one into a mixture of egg and rusk crumbs and fry them in hot oil.
- These meatballs are very spicy and are served as an hors d’oeuvre.