Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This soda bread recipe comes from an Icelandic farmhouse. It's dark,delicious, and full of wholesome grains. It's also excellent toasted.
- Makes 2 loaves
- 4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup dark rye flour
- 2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- 2½ cup buttermilk
- 2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ cup butter, softened
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease two 9x5x3 inch loaf pans.
- In a large bowl, cream together the brown sugar and butter.
- Mix the rolled oats,rye flour, whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, salt, and baking soda together in another bowl, then add the creamed mixture along with the buttermilk.
- Mix until well blended.
- Divide the mixture between the two pans and smooth the tops.
- Bake 1 hour or until a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Turn out of pans and cool on racks.