Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Icelandic Meat Soup
- 600 g (1 lb 8 oz) lamb meat of a shoulder or leg, without bones and fat
- 3 – 4 large potatoes
- 1 leek
- 3 carrots
- 1 yellow turnip (rutabaga)
- 80 g (3 oz) celery root
- ½ cup rice
- 2 – 3 tbsp chopped herbs (parsley, chives, spring onion)
- salt and pepper
- Cut meat into small cubes.
- Heat 1 quart water to a boil, add meat and a few of the bones and bring to a boil again.
- Pour water, meat and bones into a clean sink and wash well.
- Place meat, bones and 1 ½ quart water into a large, clean pan, bring to the boil, skim and cook at a moderate heat for about 60 minutes.
- Remove bones and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Clean vegetables, cut into pieces and add to the pot.
- Bring to boil, skim, add rice and cook for 20 minutes, season to taste with salt and pepper if needed and add herbs to the soup just before it is served.