Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook time: 45 Minutes
Serves: 2 Loaves
Traditional Hungarian Christmas Dessert. It is absolutely yummy. Preparation time is the time that the dough needs for rising.
- Check Out More Authentic Hungarian Recipes
- ¾ + ¼ cup warm milk
- 8 g sachet dried yeast
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 3 cups plain flour
- 200 g butter, cubed
- 2 egg yolks
- 400 g walnuts
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 5 tbsp caster sugar
- ¼ cup warm milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- Combine ¾ cup warm milk, 8g sachet dried yeast and 1 tbs caster sugar. Set aside for 5 minutes until foamy.
- Process 3 cups plain flour, 200g butter, cubed and 2 egg yolks in a food processor until breadcrumbs form. Transfer to a bowl.
- Mix in the yeast mixture. Knead until smooth. Place in an oiled bowl. Cover and set aside for 45 minutes.
- Process 400 g walnuts, 1 tsp cinnamon and 5 tbs caster sugar in a food processor until finely ground. With the motor running, add ¼ cup warm milk until a smooth paste forms.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Knead the dough until smooth, then halve. Roll each portion out to a 13cm x 24cm rectangle. Spread with the walnut filling. Roll up. Slightly flatten to about 7cm wide. Place on a lined baking tray. Brush top with 1 egg, beaten. Stand 20 minutes. Bake for 35-40 minutes.