Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Hungarian-style Sweet and Sour Cabbage Soup takes advantage of the very flavorful broth or cooking liquid remaining after cooking butt made in the Austrian-Hungarian-style. The butt is cooked in brown sugar water. (See Smoked Butt Hungarian-style) I usually make the butt and the sweet and sour cabbage soup on the same day, but serve the soup the next day. It is a hearty and filling soup, a favorite with the children.
- Source: June Meyer (email@example.com)
- 2 onions peeled and chopped
- 1 small head of cabbage, cored and chopped
- 4 peeled and seeded ripe tomatoes or 1 x 28 oz can of crushed or whole tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic, optional
- 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped or grated (gives the soup a silky "feel")
- 5 whole peppercorns
- 2 whole cloves
- brown sugar, to taste
- white vinegar, optional, to taste
- lemon juice, optional, to taste
- Nice to add any left over smoked butt.
- Cover pot and bring to a boil, lower heat and slowly cool until cabbage and potatoes are soft.
- Adjust seasoning, add salt if needed, add more brown sugar if needed.
- The soup should have a sweet (from the brown sugar in the broth) and sour (from the acid in the tomatoes).
- If you like, you can add a tablespoon of good white vinegar or the juice of half a lemon to make it more sour.
- Should be thick and full bodied.