- Bring pot of water to a boil over high heat, and cook noodles until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Drain, rinse and drain again. Set aside.
- Toss “steak” with 3 tablespoons cornstarch. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, mix together soy sauce, garlic, sugar, vegetable stock, sesame oil, remaining cornstarch and ginger. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in large skillet or wok over medium-high heat.
- When hot, stir-fry “steak” strips for about 2 minutes.
- Add and stir-fry asparagus and chiles, if using, for 30 seconds.
- Add soy sauce mixture all at once, and continue cooking until sauce thickens and asparagus turns shiny and tender.
- Return “steak” to pan, add orange zest and stir-fry 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Remove from heat.
- Arrange noodles in serving bowl or on platter, and top with stir-fry. Garnish with sliced scallions, and serve.