- 2 cups raw garbanzo beans or 3 cans chickpeas
- 2 – 3 garlic cloves or more
- ½ tsp hot paprika
- pinch cayenne pepper
- ½ cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
- ¼ cup lemon juice
Seasoning mixture Edit
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin seed, ground
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp turmeric, ground
- ½ tsp coriander seed, ground
- 2 tbsp parsley, dried and minced
- ¼ tsp cayenne, ground
- Two cups of raw garbanzo makes 6 cups cooked beans.
- Soak beans overnight in water; add more water to cover and bring to a boil.
- Remove and simmer until tender.
- Drain beans, but reserve the liquid, and set aside a small handful of beans for garnishing.
- In blender or mashing blend the remaining ingredients, alternating in adding the beans, seasonings, and tahini.
- Bring to a thick, creamy consistency using excess bean liquid.
- Add the seasoning mixture and mix well.
- Put the humus into a bowl and add the following garnishes.
- Drizzle some Greek olive oil.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
- Garnish with chopped parsley or sliced red onion.
- Top bowl with handful of reserved whole beans.
- Serve as a dip with nacho chips, pita triangles or stuff in pita bread with sprouts.