Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Maldivian spicy eggplant
- 500 gm aubergine (in south Asia this is called brinjal, except in the Maldives and minicoy where it is called barhi)
- 1 onion
- 8 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp dalda (hydrogenated vegetable oil) or clarified butter
- 1¼ cm ginger
- 2 curry leaves
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- 1 piece cinnamon
- salt to taste
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp sugar
- ¼ cup tamarind juice
- Cut aubergine length wise into quarters and fry it in oil till the skin turns brown.
- Then fry chopped onion in dalda.
- When it becomes slightly brown add crushed garlic, ginger, cinnamon and chilli powder.
- Fry it till it becomes brown in colour.
- Then add tamarind juice, salt, sugar, curry leaves, coconut milk and fried aubergine and cook it in slow a fire for a few minutes till the gravy becomes thick.