- 10 ounces extra firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (more or less)
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped
- 6 cups vegetable stock (low sodium)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon hot mung bean paste or hot sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon Szechwan hot sauce or any other hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 5 white Mushrooms, sliced
- 3 ripe plum tomatoes, peeled and chopped coarsely
- wakame (dried seaweed) [optional]
- ramen noodles [optional]
Cut tofu into small 1/2-inch square cubes.
In a large soup pot, heat up the oil; add tofu and stir around until tofu is brown on the edges (10 minutes). Add Onion, garlic and 1/2 cup of stock. Stir until vegetables are soft - about 10 minutes).
Add remaining ingredients and simmer on low for 30 minutes.
Add cooked noodles prior to serving.