Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Hot and Sour Chicken Soup from the Public Health Cookbook, Seattle and King County Department of Public Health—original source of recipe, government resource in the public domain
- Cook Time: 4
- Serves: 25 minutes
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 4 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 x 14-ounce cans non-fat, low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken
- 2 cups shredded Napa cabbage
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add mushrooms and garlic and cook for about 3–4 minutes.
- Stir in chicken broth, vinegar, soy sauce and red pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add chicken and cabbage.
- Return to boiling then reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir together the water and corn starch then stir thoroughly into the soup.
- Let simmer for 3 minutes then serve.