Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
- Contributed by Sylvia at World Recipes Y-Group
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large head green cabbage, shredded
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- kosher salt
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles (recommended: Ro-Tel)
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp.
- Remove to paper towels to drain.
- Crumble bacon and set aside.
- In reserved bacon fat, cook onions and bell peppers until limp, about 5 minutes.
- Add shredded cabbage and cook until limp, but not soft, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add chili powder and salt, to taste.
- Add tomatoes and simmer just until warmed through.
- Slaw should be slightly crisp.
- Adjust seasonings.
- Serve quickly with crumbled bacon.