- Cook potatoes in boiling water until tender.
- Peel, cut into slices, not too small, and place in mixing bowl.
- Dice and fry in frying pan ¼ lb bacon, till almost crisp.
- Do not let burn.
- Remove diced bacon and place into mixing bowl with other ingredients.
- Peel and dice onion and place into reserved bacon fat.
- Saute a few minutes.
- Remove sautéed diced onion with slotted spoon and place into mixing bowl.
- Into at least 2 tbsp bacon fat, cook 2 tbsp flour until smooth and bubbly, add 3 tbsp vinegar and 2 teaspoon sugar, 1 tsp salt, and enough water to make a medium sauce (about 1 cup or more).
- Bring to a boil and cook until sauce is thickened.
- Pour over ingredients in mixing bowl, and toss and mix.
- Taste, if needed add more salt.
- Serve with hot baked ham, or sausage.
- Good with a hot bean dish or salad.